Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Teaching Talitha

This morning I had the opportunity to teach Talitha some more. She has been learning to lead, stand tied, and let me touch her all over. It has been fun! She did really good today. :)

I give her one yogurt container of sweet-feed every morning. That is when I can clip the lead rope on without a lot of fuss. Kinda on the sly...

Then I give her some hay and let her eat for a bit while I pet her. I am hoping to milk her by hand so she HAS to be okay with me touching her everywhere.
After she filled her belly I lead her over to a big strong poll inside the barn and let her stand there tied till she started to chew her cud. I want her to relax when she is tied. Then when I milk her she will remember that being tied means to relax. Once she started chewing her cud I untied her, lead her over to the hay, and took the lead rope off.

Her little calf is now five months along and I can hardly wait to see it!!

Opal, the family cat. She is around seven years old, goofy, grumpy, sweet, and follows me around. I'll put a post on about her soon so you can meet her properly. She is a very proper cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment