Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Newcastle Singin' Hinnies

Here is a little history about 'Newcastle Singin' Hinnies'.

"The origins of the traditional scone-like griddle cake called a Singin’ Hinny is easily identified. Hinney is the pronunciation of " honey " in the north east of England around Sunderland, Newcastle and through to Northumberland. It is a term of endearment used usually to and about women and children.
The singing part of the name is when the caked are cooked in a hot flat griddle pan, as they hit the pan, the butter and lard starts to sizzle and 'sing'"


I had to add extra milk because the dough was too dry. I am not sure why that happens in most recipes that I make from England or Ireland. Maybe it's our flour? It's a mystery to me!

I made these for Mom, Sam, and I to eat for lunch.



Cut the butter and lard in

Sugar

Milk

All rolled out! I added chocolate chips instead of fruit. The are so much better!! :)

All ready to be cooked!

Melting butter

Singin'

Would you look at that butter!

Melting butter!

Mom and Sam really liked them so I think that it was a successful lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment