Wednesday, July 13, 2016

"Certainly I will be with thee;"

I wrote this post a while ago, but never finished it. So even though it is rather scattered, I decided to post it anyway.

--------

I have been slowly studying the story of Gideon and how the Lord used him to deliver Israel from the Midianites. While I was studying it I began to think about Moses and his reaction to the Lord's calling.
So I went through and wrote down the excuses both Gideon and Moses had for God...

Gideon:
1. 'Wherewith shall I save Israel?'
2. Where are the miracles our fathers talked about?
3. Why has the Lord forsaken us?
4. My family is poor
5. 'I am the least in my father's house'

God's Reply:
"Surely I will be with thee, and thou shalt smite the Midianites as one man."
He gives him the sign of the angel, fleece, and the barley loaf dream.

Moses:
1. 'Who am I?'
2. They won't believe me
3. They won't listen to me
4. I'm not eloquent

God's Reply:
"Certainly I will be with thee;"
"What is that in thine hand?" God gives him thee signs to show the Elders of Israel (the third sign, only if they don't believe)
"Now therefore GO, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say."

I love to see how the Lord was very gracious to Gideon because he was humble in his requests for signs. After God told Gideon He'd be with him, he didn't come to God with problems and reasons why he couldn't go.
Gideon I think to an extent was doubting God's justice and goodness, but though unsure of himself, he obeyed the Lord.
In Judges 6:28-32 God protected Gideon from the worshippers of Baal who wanted to kill him for the destruction he did to the grove and alter of Baal.
In Judges 7:9-14 God gave him a dream and a glimpse into the Midianite army's position. He did it to take away Gideon's fears and to strengthen his hand for the battle. It gave me a glimpse into the heart of God. I think that Gideon would have went into the battle afraid. Trusting God, but afraid. I wonder if he had faith in God in his "head", but it hadn't reached deep down in his heart yet.
Don't you think that it is God's heart for us to go into battle with NO fear? I believe it is! But if I'm afraid, I like Gideon, need to GO! Gideon didn't wait for God to give him peace. He just went.
But he did not go in blind faith, he made sure he was doing the Lord's will. I think that's important. Otherwise I could be running ahead of God.

I tend to be more like Moses, much to my chagrin. :(

Me:
1. Who am I?
2. I don't know what to say
3. They will be angry at me
4. I'm not educated enough
5. I'll get confused
6. I don't even have answers to some of my questions
7. I look different
8. I'll look like a fanatic
9. I struggle too much with my spiritual life to be of any help to others
10. etc. etc. etc.

So my challenge? To take God at His Word and trust Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment